bacteria and our food

April 21, 2010 on 12:22 am | Written by: | In Uncategorized | 4 Comments

I was doing an assignment for biology and one of the things I had to do was find a food that needed bacteria or microorganisms to be manufactured. I thought that was a little weird so I did a little research to see what all needed it and surprise, surprise there was actually a list. I guess in today’s society we all see bacteria as being bad and gross, but we forget just how important some bacteria can be.. here is a link with a short list of foods that require bacteria.
http://www.innvista.com/health/microbes/bacteria/foodprod.htm

4 Comments

1. Whoa, thats a pretty awesome list.

I definetly did not know about coffee and butter. I thought these processes occured naturally!

MSG is interesting as a product of fermentation.
    I thought it was merely synthesized from the glutamic acid reaction with some sort of acid base reaction.

Comment by Alex Lee — April 21, 2010 #

2. Hey this is interesting. I knew that they used bacteria in dairy products but i never knew about things like coffe and olives.

Comment by adavati — April 21, 2010 #

3. That’s pretty cool! I find it interesting that there is bacteria in food. I knew there was bacteria in dairy products, but I didn’t realize vitamins, coffee, chocolate, olives, etc. also contained bacteria. I also find it extremely interesting that the bacteria in cheese (Streptococcus) is the same bacteria that causes strep throat!

Comment by mpacious — April 21, 2010 #

4. I always knew there were good and bad types of bacteria and that without knowing it we eat a bunch of healthy and sometimes unhealthy bacteria every day. i also knew that bacteria was most commonly used with dairy products such as yogurt and cheese.
    The products that caught me off guard the most that were on the list were olives, coffee, and chocolate.

Comment by twatson — April 21, 2010 #

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress with Pool theme design by Borja Fernandez. Packaged by Edublogs - education blogs.
Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS. ^Top^