Kevin’s Law

April 11, 2010 on 3:57 pm | Written by: | In Uncategorized | 9 Comments

In our discussion about the Food Inc. documentary, Kevin’s Law was briefly mentioned. I was interested in figuring out what happened to Kevin’s Law as it seemed like a very simple, legitimate proposal. I discovered that the bill is more formerly known as the Meat and Poultry Pathogen Reduction and Enforcement Act of 2003 and was first brought to the congressional floor by Representative Anna Eshoo in 2005. It was referred to the subcommittee on Health and since then nothing more has happened. I remember discussing in my senior year government class that leaders of the houses in congress have a major impact on what gets reviewed and many bills will sit unattended to or may be disregarded completely. I find it hard to believe that Kevin’s Law has not gotten the attention it deserves, as this bill directly affects the health of Americans. According to the Center for Disease Control, “foodborne diseases cause approximately 76 million illnesses, 325,000 hospitalizations, and 5,000 deaths in the United States each year.” These statistics seem powerful enough to cause change, yet large companies have gained so much control that decisions seem to be based around efficiency and profits moreso than people.

Sources:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/109-h3160/show

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol5no5/mead.htm

9 Comments

1. I also thought more about Kevin’s Law and wondered why it has not been passed, or even reviewed. I feel like we have a right to know what we’re eating and where it comes from. If foodborne diseases cause that many illnesses and deaths, I feel like as a society we should be active it stoping the spread of foodborne illnesses as much as we possibily can.

Comment by aallshou — April 11, 2010 #

2. Its the revolving door man.
    Can’t they regulate that?

I mean, its not correct for a person to have so many personal connections like that. In other countries, that sort of connection network is the basis of company power, but this is what leads to increased corruption in those places, corruption that Americans are quick to criticize. But this is not proper. If the network is so strong, how can the little man get it?

Comment by Alex Lee — April 11, 2010 #

3. I completely agree with your argument. Kevin’s Law was proposed solely for the well-being of Americans. The fact that this law has not been passed is unfortunate because it will allow for the production and packaging of healthier meats. In my opinion, this law is very straightforward in its goals and can positively effect the overall health of the general public. Food is essential to life, and people should have a say in what they eat. Food that is seemingly healthy may be very detrimental to one’s health due to the processing and addition of chemicals. It is truly unacceptable that such companies can produce such unhealthy foods and fail to inform consumers about the truth behind such products.

Comment by kcallagh — April 13, 2010 #

4. i love kevins law!!!!!!

Comment by yg7u — May 11, 2010 #

5. I just recently watch the Food Inc. documentary in my English classroom. And the fact that Kevins Law hasnt been passed yet as a law is terrible and I think its unexceptable. The people of America have a right to know exactly where their food comes from. The reason this information should be freely open to the public is due to the fact that E.Coli IS a killer.

Comment by Sarah Ursem — November 2, 2010 #

6. I agree with Sarah!

Comment by Ben Fulloon — November 11, 2010 #

7. I just watched Food Inc and I think is it a tragedy that our government continues to waste our time and money. We deserve, at the very least, to have healthy, safe food. The movie changed the way I will eat and I am going to buy more locally. However in trying to find a farm to buy food I also found the smaller and even organic farms have taken government subsidies. Now what do I do?

Comment by Aimee — November 30, 2010 #

8. holy crap!!! This is freaky!….I ATE A BURGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hope I don’t die, and I feel bad for the kid and mom in Food inc. 🙁

Comment by Mr grossed out — March 15, 2011 #

9. i think kevins law is a good thing because it lets people now tt people care

Comment by Amanda — May 4, 2011 #

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress with Pool theme design by Borja Fernandez. Packaged by Edublogs - education blogs.
Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS. ^Top^