Antioxidants

April 8, 2010 on 11:49 pm | Written by: | In Uncategorized | Comments Off on Antioxidants

I’m really excited to learn more about antioxidants!!  I have an IG-A deficiency, so I don’t have the A antibody in my blood that other people have to help fight off infections and illnesses.  Therefore, I eat and drink a lot of antioxidant rich foods and immunity boosting foods and beverages.

My favorite foods are berries–any kind of berry!  Raspberries are definitely my favorite, and they are ranked at number ten with 6,058 antioxidants per cup (TAC/serving (μmol of TE))!  Strawberries, my second favorite, are ranked at number eleven with 5,938 anitoxidants per cup.  And, finally, blackberries, ranked at number eight, have 7,701 antioxidants per cup!  Everyday I have a fruit drink that has strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries it in and occasionally I get a raspberry, wildberry, or strawberry smoothie–so I usually get about a cup a day!

During the summer, my Mom and I will pick wild blueberries down the road from where we live.  We usually make blueberry pie and sometimes blueberry jam.  Wild blueberries have 13,427 antioxidants per cup (ranked number two)!
The oxygen radical absorbency capacity (ORAC) is a scientific method that is used to measure the antioxidant capacity of certain foods.  The ORAC helps to determine a food’s “healthiness” because a greater number of antioxidants means that a food is “healthier.”  Antioxidants have been show to help fight heart disease, cancer, slow Alzheimer’s disease, and aging.  They can also be used to fight off and get rid of lesser infections and illnesses.  They are super powerful and pack a really healthy punch!

Both articles presented the same information for the total antioxidant capacity of the foods, or TAC/serving (μmol of TE).  However changes could have been caused by growing conditions, such as variations in temperatures, locations, and even diseases.

No Comments yet

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress with Pool theme design by Borja Fernandez. Packaged by Edublogs - education blogs.
Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS. ^Top^