Microwaving Peeps

April 5, 2010 on 12:06 am | Written by: | In Uncategorized | 9 Comments

I’ve microwaved Peeps (and regular marshmallows) before and seen them grow and expand in the microwave but then shrink and become chewy and hard when you take them out of the microwave. ¬†Does anyone know why this happens? Here’s a funny video

9 Comments

1. I don’t know why this happens, but I have done this before! My brother and I used to stick toothpicks in our peeps, to act like swords. When the peeps expand in the microwave because of their molecules exciting, one peep’s “sword” would puncture the other peep and cause it to deflate. Whoever’s peep was the last one standing won. It was a funny little game!

Comment by bnassef — April 5, 2010 #

2. I found this website that has an experiment about marshmallows in the microwave, and it tells you why they expand so much.
    http://www.education.com/activity/article/Exploding_Marshmallows/

Comment by msloan — April 5, 2010 #

3. I’ve always wondered that too. When I was younger, I would microwave the big marshmallows and then wait until they cooled off and became crunchy until eating them. I noticed that the longer you cooked them, the crunchier they became when they cooled. If you didn’t cook them for very long, they only became slightly chewy when they cooled. It turns out that this occurs because marshmallows consist basically of water and sugar molecules encased in air bubbles, which is why they are light and fluffy. When they are heated in the microwave, the water molecules heat up and soften the sugar molecules. The air molecules also heat up and become active, bouncing off the walls of the marshmallow. This is why they puff up. The water is release, in the form of steam, when the marshmallow cools. The sugar crystals then cool and harden.

Comment by elliemare07 — April 5, 2010 #

4. I love to eat Marshmallows every day he he he.;.-

Comment by Ashley Martinez — June 17, 2010 #

5. i love to roast marshmallows on open fire, they taste great.:*

Comment by Libby Murray — September 12, 2010 #

6. marshmallows with cheese is the stuff that i always munch~`:

Comment by Sweetie Bracelet : — October 24, 2010 #

7. i love to toast marshmallows in the fire, they taste twice as better when they are burnt `*’

Comment by Jesus Ross — December 14, 2010 #

8. “:~ I am really thankful to this topic because it really gives up to date information `~~

Comment by DHEA Supplement — January 24, 2011 #

9. ~,` that seems to be a great topic, i really love it ;“

Comment by Tub Chair — February 6, 2011 #

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress with Pool theme design by Borja Fernandez. Packaged by Edublogs - education blogs.
Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS. ^Top^